Linux is a widely popular OS in the market. Some of its applications are smartphones, cars, home appliances, supercomputers, enterprise servers, home desktops, etc. Due to its highly robust and reliable nature, it is extensively used to run desktops, embedded systems, and servers worldwide.
MonoVM cares is a leading software company. It provides top-of-the-range web hosting plans at competitive prices. Their web hosting plans assures you of fast load times, 24’7 support, and 99.99% uptime. Let us learn more about what is Linux operating system and about its working environments.
What is Linux?
Over years, Linux has grown into a very trusted and robust computer ecosystem on this entire planet. It is open-source code software that enables users to use, edit, and distribute freely all across the web.
Linux comes in various versions to suit the distinctive needs of a user. These versions are referred to as distributions. Some of the popular distributions of Linux are as follows:
- LINUX MINT
- ELEMENTARY OS
Different Parts Of The Linux OS
Linux OS is composed of various parts. Let us look into each of them one by one:
- Bootloader software that helps manages the boot procedure of the computer.
- Kernel software that forms the core of the Linux system. It manages memory, peripheral devices, and CPU.
- Init system that manages the boot process of the Linux system
- Daemons are the background services that include printing, scheduling, sound, etc.
- A graphical server that displays the graphics.
- A desktop environment that includes inbuilt apps such as web browsers, configuration tools, files managers, and games.
Reasons To Use Linux
Linux has certain characteristics that make it more preferable than other OS such as Windows, Mac, iOS, etc. Let us learn about these features:
- Highly secure and least susceptible to malware viruses, sudden system failure/ crashes, and slow-downs.
- Allows users to circulate globally under an open-source license.
- Another good thing about this OS is that the repairs are not expensive
- Zero cost of entry
- No licensing fee
- Free and simple to install
- Highly stable and dependable software
Popular Linux Desktop Environments
You can use Linux systems via the command line or text-based system. This method to access Linux is done majorly by several system administrators and software developers.
The common and widely used way to access is through its graphical user interface that looks similar to Mac and Windows OS. The GUI facilitates access to software that includes multimedia software, email programs, web browsers, and word processors.
Various desktop environments are used with this OS, and One of them being GNOME. It is amongst the oldest Linux desktop environments. It is sturdy and versatile commercial desktop software. It comes in two versions as GNOME 3, GNOME 2.
Another popular Linux environment is KDE. Newly introduced systems are LXDE and XFCE that have grabbed popularity due to their speedy and simple code and pleasant designs.
Google’s Chrome and Android OS are based on Linux. They are more compatible with mainstream Linux software.
Linux is a highly preferred platform on Earth. Its reliability, efficiency, and open-source feature make it stand out from the rest.
Comments are closed.